What to Do About an Old Cable Bill

by joanne

I owed a bill on comcast cable and it been 11 years of this debt and they're still charging me for that Can i dispute that?

Reply from DebtCollectionAnswers.com:


We are sorry but we don't understand your question. Are you saying that you had a cable bill that you haven't paid on for 11 years and now they are trying to collect? If so, that debt may be outside the statute of limitations (which we understand to be four years in Pennsylvania). If you confirm this debt is too old, the you can send a cease contact letter to the debt collector instructing them not to contact you again.

But keep in mind that if you have been making payments on this debt in the last few years, that may have extended the statute of limitations. Also keep in mind that you may not be able to get future service from them if you defaulted on a debt with them in the past.

Comments for What to Do About an Old Cable Bill

Click here to add your own comments

Jul 30, 2014
by: Anonymous

I had a large back bill since 2008 with Comcast. I paid Comcast in full a week ago, so I could get service again. No one told me to contact collections. But after Comcast told me to pay back bill and service would be restored, well they denied me service, and stated that I was living with someone who also has a back bill. And I dont and proved it to Comcast. BUT STILL DENIED. PENNSYLVANIATHESIS

Reply from DebtCollectionAnswers.com:

We suggest you file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and see if they can help.

Sep 03, 2014
Can a collections agency garnish my wages?
by: Anonymous

Can a collection agency garnish wages from a cable equipment not returned? I have returned and close an account with Time Warner cable and California return all equipment to them but they claimed not all equipment turned and therefore was sent to collections and they keep calling me over and over I'm ignoring it because I believe. They made an error but I can't prove it.

Reply from DebtCollectionAnswers.com:

In order to garnish your wages a collector must typically first take you to court and get a judgment. However, by ignoring it you risk the possibility that they could try to sue you. You also risk damage to your credit reports and credit scores from the collection account. We suggest you dispute the bill with the collection agency in writing and if you continue to have problems either talk with a consumer law attorney and/or file a complaint with the CFPB.

Nov 07, 2015
Cable Company Harrassing my daughter over a bill that was mine.
by: Anonymous

The cable company keeps charging me for an old bill. I have proof that I paid for it, but now they want to charge my daughter for opening up an account with them. Meanwhile she was a minor around the time of the bill. I live in New York.

Reply from DebtCollectionAnswers.com:

Yikes! If you are hearing from a third party debt collector about this bill then we would recommend you talk to a consumer law attorney for a free consultation.

If it's the cable company that's trying to collect we suggest you file a complaint with everyone you can think of--state attorney general, Better Business Bureau, and the CFPB. There's probably a mandatory arbitration agreement that prevents you from suing the cable company but it may be worth at least running it by a consumer law attorney.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.