what do i do next?

by Timothy
(Duluth/ Georgia/Gwinnett)

I had a Judgment against me for a mustang i cosigned on with my ex-wife in 1998. she paid on the car for 2 years and got in financial trouble and had to let it go back. She gave the car back with it in good condition and they told her she wouldn't be charged with the difference if she gave it back. Somehow Wells FARGO got in court & somehow managed to get a judgment on me for $15000.00 and I was just the cosigner on the loan. I know for a fact that Capitol One was the original owner of the loan Recently I have been served with a Post Judgment Interrogatory. I took your advise and filed a motion to vacate a default judgment. They gave me another hearing for March 24th and honored my motion to vacate. When i go to this hearing what are some tips I can use to defend my innocence.every payment that was made on the car was made with my ex wife's checks and all inquires made on the car were made to her phone when it was being paid for. No payments have been on the car since she let it go back.
With the economy in the shape its in I cant afford an attorney. How shall I defend this matter:

Comments for what do i do next?

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 18, 2011
Judgment Related to Car I Cosigned For
by: Debtcollectionanswers.com

As the cosigner on your ex-wife's car loan you are liable for the loan if your wife does not pay it. That is what you legally agreed to when you became the co-signer. It does not matter that all loan payments were made with checks from her bank account. That is why the bank is pursuing you for whatever money they believe is still owed on the car.

I am not an attorney, so I cannot give you legal advice about how to defend yourself at your upcoming hearing. However, I strongly advise you to consult with a consumer law attorney who helps people resolve debt collection problems. I realize that money is tight for you, but an hour of an attorney's time to get advice about how best to defend yourself would be money well-spent and ought not to cost you a lot -- maybe $150 depending on the attorney.

Here are a couple other options: 1. Call your local or state bar association to find out if it can refer you to a consumer law attorney who might be willing to help you for a reduced fee or no fee at all. Find out how to get FREE or low cost legal advice about debt collection from a consumer law attorney here; 2. Check to see if there is a Legal Aid Office in your area and if there is, call to find out if an attorney with that office can help you.

Best of luck resolving your problem!

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.