we lost our apartment.

by Eric
(Decatur, Alabama, USA)

My wife was discharged from the military and I was unemployed at the time we chose to move out of our apartment instead of being evicted. We were told if it came to this we would only owe the remaining months rent, about $4500, but my wife is being sued for over $12,000. This doesn't seem legal, what can I do?

Comments for we lost our apartment.

Click here to add your own comments

Aug 16, 2012
we lost our apartment.
by: Debtcollectionanswers.com


Do not ignore the lawsuit. If you do, the landlord will win a default judgment against your wife. Instead, I recommend that you get a free initial evaluation with a bankruptcy attorney immediately. Filing for bankruptcy may be a good course of action for you, especially if you have a lot of debt. Filing will stop the lawsuit and give you time to figure out what to do about the debt under the protection of the bankruptcy court. Even if you do not file, the attorney can help you understand what the collector can and cannot do to collect from you if it wins its case.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.