unpaid traffic tickets

by Mitchell

I have unpaid traffic tickets in washington state,For non payment of child support.I have now have been paying child support and they have released my drivers license.Because i did not pay a monthly amount of support the state suspends your rights to operate a motor vehicle until you make a payment to child support.O.k i drove a vehicle when my license to drive was suspended for not paying a month of child support and i got caught driving which i had to go to court and get fined for the ticket i got.After so many days of not paying my fine the court sends your fine to a collection agency.My question is this legal and also what is the percentage of my fine should i negotiate down to instead of agreeing to pay the whole amount.

Comments for unpaid traffic tickets

Click here to add your own comments

Aug 13, 2012
unpaid traffic tickets
by: Debtcollectionanswers

Ye, it is legal. I cannot tell you what percentage of the ticket amount you should try to negotiate down nor can I tell you whether negotiating the ticket amount is even possible. Paying less than you owe on a debt is not a right; it's something you get to do if the creditor or collector to whom you owe the money is willing to let you settle the debt, and given the circumstances you describe in your question, you may have little or no room for negotiating. You can certainly make an offer, but the collector has the right to reject your offer, counter with a different number or refuse to accept anything other than the full amount that you owe.

Mar 16, 2015
unpaid parking ticket
by: Anonymous

I have unpaid parking tickets would like to pay them,but i cant pay it in one shot, are there payment plans?

Reply from DebtCollectionAnswers.com

You will need to ask the debt collector or municipality collecting the debt. Make sure, if you do get into a payment plan, that you get written confirmation and that they clearly state whether interest and fees will continue to accrue (and if so, how much). Otherwise you could find yourself making payments for a long time but the balance doesn't decrease.

If they won't work with you, contact your legislators. For example, if the ticket was issued by your city, it may be your city councilman. They need to understand what's happening with citizens who want to do the right thing but are getting rebuffed by collectors.

May 07, 2015
Debt collector chasing traffic ticket from 1989 in Arizona
by: Anonymous

At first I thought it was a scam but a debt collection company is hounding me by mail for $440 from a traffic ticket from 1989 in Arizona. I lived in Arizona until 2005 and was pulled over a few times from 1989 til 2005 and it was never an issue. I don't even remember it. But I don't have $440 to pay these blood sucking scum and they are threatening to ruin my credit. Is this all legal from 25 friggin years ago? Thanks

Reply from DebtCollectionAnswers.com:

Maybe. Some governmental debts don't carry the normal consumer protections you'd find with other types of consumer debts. There was a recent expose on this on CNN Money. Just search for The Secret World of Government Debt Collection. But that doesn't mean they are legal. You may want to check with your state attorney general's office. (They shouldn't be on your credit report at this late date however.)

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.