by el
( U S - atlanta, ga)

Residential tenant is now in hospice program. How do we collect the debt owed thus far (2) months? How do we collect should the tenant passes and still owes for rent and other charges? No information on relativesor friends? We have not rented the property, as of yet because we stand on the reason that we have not "accepted" the surrender of the porperty. Therefore, the lease is not officially terminated because we "found out" that tenant had vacated the property after a month or two of tenant's hospitalization.
How do we file a claim to recoup rent loss and other charges totaling about $1100?


Click here to add your own comments

Nov 07, 2012
by: Debtcollectionanswers.com

I recommend that you schedule an appointment with an attorney who is familiar with landlord/tenant law in your city and state. The attorney can advise you of your rights given your situation and what to do.

Also, given the relatively small amount you are owed, you can probably file a claim against the tenant in small claims court. Contact the clerk for that court to find out what the process is. However, be sure too talk with a landlord/tenant lawyer first.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Deceased Person's Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2018 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved.

Disclosure: We may receive compensation for marketing some of the services mentioned on this site. Above all though, our goal is to recommend products and services we believe can help our readers. You can learn more here.