Summons for Judgment

by Shellie
(Omaha, NE. USA)

I was served a summons for judgment. Old doctor bill for $1,000 approx. a year ago. I have 20 days to respond. I called the attorney listed who said I need to speak to the collection agency. The attorney's office gave me the CA phone number. I called and they won't accept $1,000. They now want $1,600 for fees, attorney fees, court costs, interest, etc. What should I do now?

File an answer with the court that I tried to settle for full amount? I am judgment proof at this time. No real or personal property. I do receive $900 a month child support. I do own a 12 yr. old car with 189,000 miles on it. I haven't worked in years so no tax refund checks coming my way.

Please any advice would be appreciated.

Comments for Summons for Judgment

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 07, 2010
served with summons
by: Gerri

Thanks for submitting your debt collection question on our Q&A page.

It seems that collection agencies are getting more aggressive about suing consumers lately. Maybe it's our imagination but we are hearing a lot more stories like yours.

We have created a page that describes your options if you are being sued. We hope you find it useful and that it answers your questions.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.