Summoned in a civil debt matter during travel

by Liz

I have private school loans that are quite old. I defaulted on them with the original creditor and they went to an attorney for collections. I have been paying them for the past 7 years. I am currently unemployed and do not qualify for unemployment insurance; since I worked overseas for the past 4 years. I have notified the collection agency of this, and assured them that as soon as I was financially able I would resume payment, but they still plan to go to the "next step". I am assuming this means a court case where they pass a judgment to garnish wages or do liens on my assets. I have no house or car and currently no wages. I am traveling to look for work and believe I will be summoned at a time when I will be unable to be at the court. Can a family member step in with my written authorization to state my case to the judge? Is there a specific form for this?

Comments for Summoned in a civil debt matter during travel

Click here to add your own comments

Oct 18, 2011
Summoned in a civil debt matter during travel

I am not an attorney nor am I familiar with how the civil courts work in New Jersey. Therefore, I recommend that you contact a consumer law attorney in that state to get an answer to your question.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.