sued for co signed lease on my daughter's apartment

by Teresa
(MO, )

My daughter broke her lease now her landlord is hitting me up for months missed in paying. I received a civil suit asking me to pay back months and damage. Can I call this landlord and discuss the problem or just go though the court?

Reply from

Debts are settled before the court date all the time. If you do work something out get it in writing that they will drop the lawsuit if you make the agreed upon payments, and then either confirm with the court that it has been dropped, or show up at the scheduled hearing to confirm that they don't try to proceed and get a judgment anyway. Please read our pages on being sued. Hope this helps!

Click here to post comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.