Student Loan Cheques Debt Questions

by JCS
(Calgary Alberta)

My girlfriend got a student loan to go to college, she decided not to go to college and never cashed the cheques. She mailed them back to the student loan company and they were never cashed.

The student loan company changed address and failed to collect mail from the previous address. They have directed a debt collection agency to regain the funds from my girlfriend even though the money cheques were never deposited and are now no longer in her possession. Essentially they are trying to collect money that was never borrowed.

What are our options if the student loan company and debt collection agency are dragging their asses in resolving this?

Comments for Student Loan Cheques Debt Questions

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 17, 2010
student loan debt not valid
by: Gerri

I appreciate your submitting your debt collection question on our Q&A page.

This is one of those very unusual situations. It certainly does sound like your girlfriend is being taken to collections for a debt she doesn't owe!

Who knows what happened to those checks after she sent them back? Nevertheless, it doesn't sound like she should be reponsible.

If she lived in the US, I would suggest she send the debt collector a cease and desist letter explaining what happened and asking them not to contact her again. If they then tried to pursue the debt in court she could talk with a consumer law attorney.

But I don't know enough about Canadian debt collection laws to advise. So I will suggest she contact a consumer law attorney who can help her understand her rights. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.