Son's Debts Coming To My Address

by George
(Edmonds, WA)

I made a huge mistake when my son was born by naming him after me. We have the identical name with the exception that I am the III and he is the IV. My son has had a long history of alcoholism, homelessness and unemployment. He is sober now, but because of decades of alcoholism, he is still chronically unemployed. The problem is, even though he does not live with me he uses my address for any financial situation, such as checking accounts or medical bills. He obviously has never had any medical insurance, so I get all the bills for him sent to my home. The most recent was a bill to a hospital for 889.00 for an emergency room visit by him. I tried to do the right thing and contact the billing department of the hospital and let them know this is not my debt, can they please stop sending the bills to my address. The reason I don't want the bills sent to my address is because even though we obviously have a different SS# and DOB, many of these bills have been reported to MY credit report. Then I've had to go to the hassle of having them removed.
The hospital says that, not only will they not stop sending the bills to my address, they won't even stop if I give them his current address. Because of privacy laws they can only change billing info if it comes from him. From many years of experience, I know with certainty that my son will never contact anyone about these debts. He has thousands and thousands of unpaid hospital bills around the country from his time as an alcoholic.
So, according to the hospital credit department, there is nothing they can do unless he contacts them directly. That will NEVER happen, which I told them. So, I have no option other than continuing to get his bills sent to me and some of them ultimately ending up on my credit report.
Is there anyway that I can stop these bills from being sent to my address?

Comments for Son's Debts Coming To My Address

Click here to add your own comments

Nov 13, 2013
Son's Debts Coming To My Address

So sorry about your predicament George. It must be very difficult for you.

Given the nature of your particular problem, I highly recommend that you schedule an appointment with a consumer law attorney in your area who helps consumers resolve their debt collection problems. Your first appointment with the attorney should be free.

Quite honestly, I don't know if there is anything you can do to stop your problem once and for all, short of moving and not giving your son your forwarding address. However, the attorney should be able to advise you about any possible solutions inn light of the laws of your state and relevant federal laws too.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Not Mine.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.