Skip Sewer Summons

by Darrell
(Chicago, Il)

In Oct 04; the Sherriff dept returned a summons because I had moved. The law firm that sued me; file an ex-parte motion and had a private process server serve my old address. Of course; I didn't know and didn't show for court and nothing appeared on my CBR. They "found" me 2 months ago and proceeded on the 2005 default. in doing my research; I found that the law firm and the process server share the same office and receptionist; with both of thier names PROUDLY stenciled on the door. What can I do?

Comments for Skip Sewer Summons

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 24, 2010
improper service
by: Gerri


You should talk with your own attorney. There have been several cases where debt collection law firms did not properly serve consumers before taking them to court and getting judgments. For example, the New York Attorney General sued debt collection law firms to throw out 100,000 default jugments improperly obtained against consumers.

Debt collection law firms are not above the law.

while you could complain to your state Atty. Gen.'s office, they usually don't get involved in individual disputes. So I would suggest that you contact a local consumer law attorney with experience in debt collection cases. Find out how to get FREE or low cost legal advice about debt collection from a consumer law attorney here.

Please do let us know what happens. We're very interested in knowing how this turns out for you.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.