Payment by Money Order

I would like to help my son payoff an account turned over to collections. He says that he has not received anything in writing from this collections company. The balance is due to breaking an apartment lease in Tempe AZ.

I looked up this collections company online and there is such a company in Texas whose phone number matches the one given to my son.

I do not in any way want any of my information to get into the hands of any collection agency.

I am willing to buy a money order to pay the amount in full, but according to my son, NCAC refuses to accept a money order and insists on a credit or debit card payment. They refused to provide remit-to address.

My son has neither debit nor credit cards, not even a bank account.

Can the collections agency refuse payment in full using a money order?

Comments for Payment by Money Order

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 08, 2010
paying debt by money order
by: Gerri & Mary

Your son is lucky to have you looking out for him and helping him out with this. And you're smart to make sure this is handled properly.

First of all, we would not recommend you pay them anything unless they send your son a written statement describing the debt, including how much he owes. Their address should also be included on that notice. They are required to do this by law within five days of initially contacting the debtor. So there's really no reason for them not to send your son something in writing.

If they have talked to him, and they have not sent him any written information about the debt, they are likely breaking the law. See our advice below.

We also agree with you that you should not pay the collection agency with your debit card or credit card. A cashiers check or money order is a good idea.

Your son can request the collection agency to send them something in writing. When he gets that, he can send in his payment by money order, with a copy of the statement, and we'd be very surprised if they didn't cash the money order. (Of course make sure you send it by certified mail and keep a copy of the money order receipt for your records. You may want to consider using a cashiers check from your bank if you can get tracking when it's cashed.)

There is no requirement in the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act that describes how collectors must accept payment though we can imagine a judge would take too kindly to hearing that they refused your payment by money order if this ended up in court.

If you haven't done so already, we recommend you at least read the first chapter of our e-book, Debt Collection Answers, online for free so you understand your rights when dealing with this collection agency.

If you think the debt collector has broken the law, you can contact a local consumer law attorney with experience in debt collection cases. Find out how to get FREE or low cost legal advice about debt collection from a consumer law attorney here.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.