Outstanding Sales Tax Debt from an Ex Spouse

by Karen

How to handle an outstanding debt of sales tax, that has your name attached to it because of marriage. Now divorced, received a letter demanding payment of $21,150.00, from the Attorney General's Office, needs to be done within 10 days or they may garnish wages or put an attachment on my bank account. My ex has not filed a tax return for many years, & even though I got money refunded to me, it went towards this outstanding amount ($9000) of which has been paid. It states in my divorce decree that I am free & clear of all sales tax debt incurred while my ex was self employed. He signed it. I don't know what to do next?

Click here to post comments

Return to Debt Not Mine.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.