our son was put on a collections when he was a minor

by Dawn
(Concord, NC, USA)

Our son's credit report showed a collections that was put on his due to same first and last name. We reported it to the bureau's and they said it belonged to him. He was in high school and has never had a job or house. We were told to pay it for him and now we want it off of his report. We never ever received any information from this collection company even after they said it belonged to him. Now what do we do? We want this off of his credit report. We had it deleted off of ours and then it appeared on his. Even before it was ever put on they never contacted anyone in our family that they put it on. We only found it on ours after we applied for aa mortgage. Equifax said it belonged to him and then after that the collection never sent him a letter stating that it was on there and they wanted payment. Is this against the law?

Comments for our son was put on a collections when he was a minor

Click here to add your own comments

Jul 15, 2012
our son was put on a collections when he was a minor
by: DEBtcollectionanswers

Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for incorrect information to end up in consumer credit reports and as you are discovering getting the information corrected or removed can be difficult to do sometimes.

The first thing I would do is go the web site of the credit bureau and follow the process for disputing information on your son's credit report. You will have to explain why you do not believe that the credit account should appear there. Your main reason from what I understand is that when the debt was incurred, your son was a minor. This is important because minors cannot be held legally liable for debt. Parents of minors are liable for any debt incurred on behalf of a child and for any debt a child may run up using a his or her parents' credit cards, for example.

You may also want to put your dispute in writing and send the letter to Equifax certified mail with a return receipt requested. The address for mailing the letter should be on the Equifax web site or on any information your son (or you) may have received from the company. If you send a letter, make a copy for your files.

If you are unable to get the information removed after you do what I am advising, I would schedule an appointment with a consumer law attorney in your area who helps consumers resolve problems related to the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act, the law that establishes your credit reporting rights.

Good luck!

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Not Mine.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.