Old Man Needs Help With Cosigned Account

by Denny
(Puyallup Wa. USA)

I co signed for a friend four years ago on a car. She has quit making the payments four months ago and the collection people are after me. I live on social security and a small pension. I have no means to pay off the debt or I would. My credit was very good until this happened.I own a older pick up truck and am renting a small apt.

Do I have any options, these collectors are getting aggressive. The person I cosigned for was supposed to get this out of my name two years ago. She lost her job and has not worked since to my knowledge. I live in Washington st. thank you

Reply from DebtCollectionAnswers.com: First of all, you don't have to deal with debt collection harassment. You may want to read the first chapter of our ebook Debt Collection Answers online for free and if you think the collector is crossing the line, you should contact a consumer law attorney. Find out how to get FREE or low cost legal advice about debt collection from a consumer law attorney here.

It also sounds, though, like you could be judgment proof. If that's the case, even if the collector sued you, there would be no way for them to really enforce the judgment. It would be a good idea for you to set up a a free consultation with a bankruptcy attorney to find out what the collector can and cannot do to collect from you. If the bankruptcy attorney tells you that you are judgment proof, ask his or her advice about sending a cease contact letter to stop the collector from contacting you again.

Denny, there's a good chance you do not have to keep enduring these high pressure collection tactics. Go ahead and get the help you need to put this behind you.

Click here to post comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.