Old debt written off

by Karen
(Farmington Hills, MI)

I have an old debt from Providian that was written off by the creditor several years ago. I had even forgot about it until Sunday March 29, 2009 I was served a summons complaint from Mindland Funding LLC "As Successor in interest of Providian"
I have 21 days to file a written answer this is for $2621.00
I am shocked! No phone calls no letters just a summons.

I have no idea what to do. Can you guide me?

Comments for Old debt written off

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 03, 2009
Answering a summons
by: Mary Reed

If you've received a summons, do not ignore it! You must show up in court on the day and time indicated in the summons. In the meantime, it's essential that you meet with a consumer law attorney in your area. The attorney will help you decide how to respond to the summons. For example, the attorney may suggest that you try to negotiate an out-of-court settlement with Providian in order to avoid the cost and hassle of a trial.

You may want to read Debt Collection Answers to find out about your options when you owe money to a creditor and you can't pay the debt. There are things you can do that could help you avoid having your unpaid debt lead to a lawsuit like it has with the account you are writing about.

Again, schedule an appointment with a consumer law attorney right away! Good luck resolving your problem.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2018 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved.
Read our Privacy Policy here