Old Debt I Can't Pay...Help

by Linda
(Diamond Springs, CA)

I was just informed that I owe $57,000 to a person that I was in an accident with over 7 years ago. They claim they have a judgement against me but I was not informed of any court date.

I own nothing, due to the economy I have not worked in one year. I have a 8 yr old son that I am the sole suport of. We are on Welfare and are barely making it. Can I discharge this $57,000 debit by filing bankruptcy. I live in California.

Reply from DebtCollectionAnswers.com:

Linda, please don't panic. You may be judgment proof which means that even if they have a judgment against you they can't really do anything to collect.

Our recommendation would be for you to get
a free consultation with a bankruptcy attorney who can help you figure out if there is a legitimate judgment against you, and if so, what you can do about it.

As far as the judgment goes, though, you should have been notified that the matter went to court. If that was not handled properly, you may have recourse. You'll need to talk with a consumer law attorney.

Click here to post comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.