NJ or PA

by Roadannie
(New Jersey)

I live in NJ and work in PA. I have been sued for wage garnishment for credit card debt. I noticed on the court order that they used a New Jersey address for my employer. This address belongs to a trustee firm in NJ. My employer does not have any dealings in New Jersey. Is this Legal, and can my wages be garnished in PA for credit card debt?

Reply from DebtCollectionAnswers.com:

Talk with a consumer law attorney right away. Generally, in Pennsylvania, it is our understanding that your wages cannot be garnished for a credit card debt. If the debt collector has misrepresented that, then you need to talk with an attorney.

We recommend you first talk with a consumer law attorney to find out whether that is the case. You can find one locally with experience in debt collection cases. Find out how to get FREE or low cost legal advice about debt collection from a consumer law attorney here.

We are not attorneys and can't provide legal advice. We hope you find the help you need to get this resolved!

Click here to post comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.