New husband-outstanding medical bills.

by Liz
(Racien, WI USA)

I am newly married and have recently been summoned to court for outstanding medical bills, can my new husband be sued to pay these bills also?

Reply from


We can't offer legal advice and since you are being sued, it would be a good idea for you to talk with an attorney to find out what the collector can and cannot do if you can't pay these medical bills. Wisconsin is a community property state. Generally that means that debts incurred after the marriage are community property. However, we are concerned about whether the creditor would be able to go after property (including bank accounts) that you and your husband have if they are successful in getting a judgement against you.

We'd recommend you at least talk with a bankruptcy attorney who should be able to answer these questions for you.

Click here to post comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.