My invalid mother is being served papers to go to court for credit card

by Suzette
(Lockhart, Texas)

My mother is 71, has MS and is in a nursing home in Texas. She is on Medicaid and only gets a 60.00 monthly allowance. She has no house or property. A credit card company is serving her papers to go to court. She can't travel or speak due to the MS. What can I do or what can be done? I'm her power of attorney and I'm so afraid that they're going to garnish her SS check and retirement which will mess up medicaid.

Reply from

Suzette - We suggest you get legal help. You can learn about how to get free or low-cost help with your debt collection problems here. There are likely a number of consumer protections that can help here but given that your mother has been served, it's best that you get some legal advice.

Click here to post comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.