Medical Debt Owed By A Person Who Has Medicaid Insurance

I am working with a young lady who has Medicaid in the State of Michigan. She took her daughter to a emergency care clinic 2x within one year. We inquired to the clinic why she is being billed when she had Medicaid. The representative of the billing department told her that she did not have Medicaid coverage for both visits. But she had the coverage before and after these two visits.
She does not remember receiving a termination determination from Medicaid during this time. We are contacting Medicaid to see if she had medical coverage during these two visits.

If she was not covered and did not receive any notice from the State of Michigan stating her medicaid insurance was terminated, who pays for the bill?

Reply from

We would first suggest she talk to Medicaid to find out for sure whether she was or wasn't covered, and if not, why not. If not, then perhaps she is eligible for financial assistance from the hospital. Ask the hospital for a written copy of their financial assistance policies and the procedure for applying.

Comments for Medical Debt Owed By A Person Who Has Medicaid Insurance

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 13, 2018
Mother 93, nursing home, Medicaid, broke
by: Bob C

My mother is in a nursing Home, 93 yrs old. She is on Medicaid. They take all here Social Security and a small DoD annuity from my dad, who has past. The State of CO allows her 72$/mo for personal expenses, like a pizza night or have her hair fixed. Basically, she has Demintia and is broke.

A Debt Collector has been calling me everyday about getting her to pay for a hospital bill. She can’t, I can’t. The collector wants us to get a lawyer and pay it or they will take her to court. She won’t even know what is happening. What can I do?

Reply from

We are not attorneys but this sounds like it could very well be illegal harassment. You could go one of two ways. One is to send the collector a certified letter stating that you know your rights, that you believe their behavior is illegal, and that you want them to cease contact with your mother. (We say "you" but if you have power of attorney you can send it on your mom's behalf otherwise you can get her to send it.) They may move on to greener pastures.

The other option would be to talk with a consumer law attorney. You may be able to get free help to stop the collector and be entitled to damages for violation of the FDCPA. Find out how to get free or low-cost help with your debt collection problems here.

Also make sure this is a legitimate debt collector though and not a scammer.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Medical Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.