Lien on estate for back child support in WA?

by Shirley

Can a lien be put on real property of the deceased for back child support in Washington?

Comments for Lien on estate for back child support in WA?

Click here to add your own comments

Nov 30, 2012
Lien on estate for back child support in WA?
by: Debtcollectionanswers

When an estate of a deceased person goes through the probate process, all of his or her creditors (including anyone to whom he or she owes past due child support) must be notified so that the creditors can file claims with the court to get their debts paid. The deceased's assets cannot be distributed to his or her beneficiaries until as many of the claims are paid as is possible. The claims must be paid in order of priority and past due child support is high on that list.

As to whether or not the person who is owed back child support can also put a lien on the deceased's real property, I recommend that you consult with a probate attorney in WA about that. I don't know enough about the laws in that state to answer your question.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Deceased Person's Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2018 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved.

Disclosure: We may receive compensation for marketing some of the services mentioned on this site. Above all though, our goal is to recommend products and services we believe can help our readers. You can learn more here.