IRS back taxes

by schube
(Laguna Hills, CA)

Can I go direct to the IRS to negotiate a reduction or do I need an attorney?

Comments for IRS back taxes

Click here to add your own comments

Aug 10, 2010
IRS Back Taxes
by: Mary

Thanks for submitting your debt collection question on our Q&A page.

You can contact the IRS directly about resolving your past due tax debt. (By the way, the agency is far more likely to agree to let you pay the debt over time in installments than it is to forgive some of the debt.) However, you may have more luck working out an arrangement you can live with if you have either a tax CPA or a tax attorney do the negotiating for you, especially if you are concerned that if you contact the IRS yourself, you may be pressured into an agreement that you really don't feel you can comply with and/or that you won't have a clear understanding of all of the terms and conditions of the agreement. If you are unable to live up to any of those terms and conditions, the IRS would cancel your agreement and the money you owe to the agency would become immediately due in full.

It's essential that you deal with your past due debt to the IRS because the agency has extraordinary and virtually unlimited collection powers that can have serious consequences for you. Also, the longer your debt goes unpaid, the bigger it will become because interest, penalties and fees are accruing.

Please share what happens with your situation in the comments section for this question. We are very interested in hearing how this turns out for you, and your experience can help others who are struggling with debt collectors.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.