I wasn't served yet the collection agency obtained a judgement against me in court. How can I stop them from taking my money?

by PK Storm

I accumulated about $30,000.00 in medical debt. One collection agency sued me and got a judgement against me. I was in a rehabilitation facility in AZ fighting for my life when I was allegedly served notice to appear in court. I had no idea any of this had happened until several months after I returned home and started getting letters.

I'm now disabled and rely on Social Security. Today the collection agency served papers to my bank and ALL of my funds are frozen. How can I stop this? What legal action is necessary to reverse the judgement? How can a judgment be placed against me when I wasn't there to defend myself? I really need help. I could lose my home.

Reply from DebtCollectionAnswers.com:

You are right, you really do need help to fight back against this. The good news is that since the collection agency may have broken the law, an attorney may be willing to take your case on a contingent fee basis, knowing that if you win the collection agency will pay his or her attorney's fees.

We recommend you immediately talk with a consumer law attorney. You can find one in your area through NACA.net

Please don't be afraid to reach out for help here!

Click here to post comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.