I am disabled and cannot pay my debts

by B. DeFeno

Several months ago I had an accident and have been 100% disabled and actually got
my Social Security Disability on the first
try.I have tried to pay my credit card bills from the past but can't. I did not ever to be
disabled, but I am. Creditors are harrassing
me. One sais he will garnish my checking
account. I don't think they can do that as
SS disability is my only income. If I pay these creditors I can't pay rent ,utility
bills, food, etc. Should I stop paying these creditors?

Comments for I am disabled and cannot pay my debts

Click here to add your own comments

Aug 28, 2011
I am disabled and cannot pay my debts
by: Debtcollectionanswers.com.

I am so sorry that you were in a disabling accident. I am sure that adjusting to your situation is very difficult.

Given your financial circumstances we recommend that you consult with a bankruptcy attorney in your area right away (your initial appointment should be free) or that you go here for a free consultation with a bankruptcy attorney.

Although I am not an attorney, based on what you have told me it sounds like you may be judgment proof and if the attorney confirms that is the case, then you can send the collectors letters explaining the situation and asking them not to contact you again.

Read: How to use a cease and desist letter to stop a debt collector.

The attorney you meet with will be able to tell you for sure after looking at your finances. The most important thing for you to understand however, is that you have options for dealing with your debts and ending the stress you are under. You just need to explore them and the best way to do that is to schedule an appointment with a bankruptcy attorney.

Oct 06, 2011
by: Anonymous

I'm a disabled woman I'm married but my husband is unemployed now he is 61 years old. It is very hard to find work when you are 61, we cannot pay the mortgage and some credits cards. I wonder what I can do. Any help we will appreciate.

Thanks, bets.

Reply from DebtCollectionAnswers.com:

Bets, we really recommend you talk with a bankruptcy attorney about your options for possibly saving your home and resolving your debts. We're so sorry you are going through this. Talking with the attorney should be a priority.

Nov 02, 2011
An Alternative To Bankruptcy
by: Kathy

I am in a similar situation in that as of this summer, I am on LTD due to long-term residual effects from an SAH I suffered in 2009.

You might consider filing bankruptcy but at the same time, there is another option which we chose. We have just started making payments through a debt management plan through a non-profit organization which has been doing this for more than 50 years. While you can try to reduce interest on your own, often times it can be difficult and frustrating, especially when you are dealing with health issues.

They already have relationships with major credit card companies and in one phone counseling session were able to reduce my interest rates by more than 20%.

Make sure you do your homework for there are a lot of scams out there! It's my debt therefore my responsibility to make sure it is paid to the appropriate parties in a timely manner. Make sure you get written confirmation from your debtors that they accept the plan and continue to monitor your accounts to ensure that payments have been made.

While it cannot change debt owed on mortgages or vehicles, it did reduce our monthly payments on other debt by more than 50% and has made it much more manageable.

If you feel you could manage if your credit interest rates were reduced thus making your bills more manageable, you might want to consider looking into a DMP as well.

Reply from DebtCollectionAnswers.com:

Kathy - Good point. We often recommend consumers talk with a reputable counseling agency, especially if they are struggling with credit card debt. If you qualify for a Debt Management Plan it can be a good way to go, depending on your situation. (You have to get a certificate showing you went through a credit counseling session in order to file for bankruptcy.)

Here's a podcast about credit counseling debt consolidation that may be helpful:

Sep 14, 2015
debt collectos
by: Anonymous

My name is Elizabeth and I to am 100% disabled I have car loan from two years ago which I was paying on but now that I am getting disability I can no longer makes the payments. They have hired attorney out of Rochester NY and they are harassing me what can I do? I can pay them and live to?

Reply from DebtCollectionAnswers.com:

Your disability is probably protected from creditors. But since this is a car loan, it is a secured loan and if you fall behind on payments they can repossess it. We recommend you talk with a bankruptcy attorney right away to find out if there is a way to keep your car. You can get a a free initial evaluation with a bankruptcy attorney here.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.