Husband has passed away and cant afford mortgage

by Kim

My husband passed away 2 weeks ago. His name is the only one on our mortgage. I cannot afford to pay mortgage. Do I have to change mortgage into my name or leave it in his?

I am trying to sell house so in order to do that I assume it will have to be in my name but if I just give back to bank does it have to be?

Reply from


We are so sorry to hear of your husband's death. If the house were in both your names and you were able to afford it then you could just keep making payments. But in these circumstances, you'll need to get legal help so you can dispose of the house. An estate planning attorney should be able to help or refer you to someone who can.

Click here to post comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.