Husband died with no will in Texas

by Marian
(Dallas, TX)

I live in Texas. My husband of 30 years died. I am now trying to sell my house but am told that because he had children from a previous marriage, they must sign off in order for me to sell my home.

Comments for Husband died with no will in Texas

Click here to add your own comments

Jul 14, 2012
Husband died with no will in Texas
by: Debtcollectionanswers


So sorry for your loss. I recommend that you schedule an appointment with a probate law attorney in your area to find out exactly what you need to do about the house. Also, depending on the details of your husband's estate, which is simply all of the assets he owned at the time of his death, the attorney may tell you that you must initiate the probate process and recommend that you ask the court to designate you as the administrator of the estate. If your husband owed any debts when he died, as administrator you will be responsible for paying as many of them as possible during the process. Then, his assets will be distributed to his heirs according to the inheritance law of Texas. The probate law attorney will explain who would be considered heirs in that state.

It's important that you get all of the information you need and you can probably get it during an initial appointment with the attorney. The cost of the appointment will not be a lot and it will be money well-spent because you do not want to do (or not do) anything that may cause you problems down the road.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Deceased Person's Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.