hospital bill

by ebony
(diamondhead ms usa)

can a hospital bill 2 years old garnish my wages or take my car? I olay make min wage and rent takes over half my monthly income

Comments for hospital bill

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 09, 2012
hospital bill
by: Debtcollectionanswers


The hospital must sue you for the money you owe and win a judgment against you before it can garnish your wages or take an asset that you own. If you are sued, be sure to respond to the notice you will receive from the court and show up in court for the hearing related to the lawsuit. If you don't, the judge will probably award the hospital a default judgment against you and then the hospital will have the right to try to collect on the judgment.

However, from what you shared in your question, it sounds like you may be "judgment proof." That means that even if the hospital did get a judgment against you, it would not be able to collect the amount of the judgment from you. If that is the case and you let the hospital (or collector) know, it may decide that it's not worth the cost and the hassle of suing you. The best way to find out if you are judgment proof is to schedule a free initial evaluation with a bankruptcy attorney. Go here to learn more about being judgment proof.

Feb 14, 2012
by: Anonymous

I had a car accident in Sept. of last year, I have NO medical Ins. The hospital has turned me over to a collection agency even though I have set up payment plan with the hospital every month. I keep getting letters & I got a call today and she told me "It's going to take you 4 yrs to pay this off" is there anything I can do to stop them from call & getting letters.

Mar 17, 2012
in debt
by: Anonymous

I have a $4000 hospital bill with no insurance no money what can they do to me.

Oct 25, 2014
Medical Bill Privacy Violation?
by: Anonymous

Two months after losing my medical insurance I was hospitalized several times over a 6 month period. I owe over 100K now. One of the medical associations got a judgment and now that I am working they are garnishing my wages.

The problem I have is my medical records were attached to the writ and mailed to my HR department. There was information in the records that were very personal. My HR rep gave me a copy of everything she received. Is this legal??

Reply from

We assume you are concerned this could be a HIPPA violation, and that may or may not be the case. There are some exceptions for debt collection and this may be one of them. (We can't say for sure--we're not attorneys and we've found it very difficult to locate expert sources on this issue.) Keep in mind, though, that if you believe there is a violation you certainly have the right to file a complaint. The provider (original medial provider) should supply you with the information necessary to do that. But there is not generally a right of private action, which means a consumer can't sue specifically due to that action. (There may be other state laws that apply.)

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't speak up. In addition to contacting the original medical provider for information on filing a complaint you may want to contact the CFPB.

Jan 04, 2015
credit collectionss bureau
by: Denise

My husband has a medical bill that went in to collections. We were make payments we could afford at the time, nothing in writing. We were not getting anything from the collection other than the same bill amount. Non of the payments we were making came off the bill, as a matter of fact the amount was increasing. We didn't hear anything from them for a long while after calling to find out where all the money went. We went thru the route of proving the payments etc.

Long story short, my husbands wages were garnished and we ended up with a judgement against us. The papers used were altered fed docs claiming they were allowed more than what the fair credit act allows. The same tactic (forged and altered fed doc to get the judgement) we contacted an attorney to get the wages returned but the judgement is still against us. From there the atty sent the paperwork back, with a letter stating additional lawsuit but our firm doesn't want it. My husband went through 5 atty saying the same thing. I said why can't we just pay the damn bill. Why can't we talk to the atty representing the ccb that altered all these docs to attempt their illegal seizure of wages you take off the judgement so we can re establish a refinance and pay them off?

Without the judgement we have a better chance of rolling all our bills including a 51 year mortgage. It seems like all we r doing is pissing off the friendships we made with these attorneys not mention their fees i feel we r getting further and further into debt with all these attorneys "looking at the case than if we just pay it off. Much more to this, but i can't type anymore.

Reply from

We're really sorry to hear what you have been through. Of course it's hard for us to suggest alternatives since you've spoken with numerous attorneys. But have you thought about bankruptcy? Maybe it's just time for a fresh start...

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.