Help With Foreclosure

If you need help with foreclosure, the first thing to do is to talk with a HUD housing counselor. Go to the HUD website and use the drop down menu to locate the HUD-approved counseling agency nearest you. You can also call 1-888-995-4673 to locate an agency. This service is free to homeowners, so it is definitely worth a try.

Before you meet with a counselor, pull together the following information and bring it to your meeting:

  • Your most recent monthly mortgage statement.
  • Your most recent statements for any home equity loans or lines of credit you may be paying on.
  • Your most recent credit card account statements.
  • Your most recent account statements for any other debts you may owe, like a car loan or student loan.
  • Your most recent income tax return.
  • A list of your assets and their current values (what they are worth today), including your bank accounts and other assets you may own.
  • Information about your household’s gross monthly income (income before taxes). Your income may include wages, self employment income, child and/or spousal support income, disability or retirement income, and so on. Bring documentation proving each source and amount of income -- canceled checks, pay stubs, and so on.

If a housing counselor is unable to help you, or if your attempts to come up with a foreclosure solution with your lender are not working, you may need to get help with foreclosure from a foreclosure attorney.

FHA Loan Foreclosure Help

If you have an FHA loan, your lender must follow FHA servicing guidelines and regulations for FHA-insured loans to help you avoid foreclosure. If you don’t believe your lender is willing to work with you, contact FHA's National Servicing Center toll free at (888) 297-8685. Before you call, have the following information handy: the full name(s) of all persons listed on the mortgage loan, full address for your property including city, state and zip. By the way, if you can provide your 13-digit FHA case number when you contact the Center, you may get faster assistance. You can find that number on your loan settlement statement,

VA Loan Foreclosure Help

If you have a VA loan, contact the Department of Veteran’s Affairs for help with options for avoiding foreclosure on that loan, Go to the VA foreclosure help website.

Union Members Foreclosure Help

If you are a member of a labor union and need foreclosure help, contact the Save My Home Hotline at 1-866-490-5361, where you will be connected with a housing counselor. As a union member you may be eligible for additional benefits that can help you keep your home.

Keep reading for more help with foreclosure. Next: Avoid foreclosure

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2019 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved.
Read our Privacy Policy here