guarnishment papers with my name but wrong ssn number.

by Christina
(Johannesburg Mi USA)

my boss told me she got garnish papers from nco financial system inc. they say i took out loans for schooling. but i am a high school drop out do to having kids.They also give and address where i have never lived. these paper are not from a judge. they are from them.Also most of the laws that are on the papers are for california not Michigan. they also call 5-7 times a day ranging from 5am to 10:33pm. i have called them and told them to stop calling me. but it hasnt worked.

Comments for guarnishment papers with my name but wrong ssn number.

Click here to add your own comments

May 07, 2013
guarnishment papers with my name but wrong ssn number.

It sounds like NCO has confused you with someone else, Christina. Given that your employer is being told to garnish your wages for a debt that you do not believe is yours, you need to get in touch with a consumer law attorney who can help you resolve the problem ASAP. Go here to get free legal advice.

Should you be contacted by a debt collector again, you need to know that the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) gives you the right to request that a debt be verified when you do not think you owe it. However, to be entitled to written verification from a collector you must request it within 30 days of being contacted about the debt for the first time.

Always put your verification request in writing, make a copy of your letter for your files and send the letter via certified mail with a return receipt requested. File the receipt with your copy of the letter. The FDCPA says that the collector must respond to your verification request.

You should also know that if a debt collector keeps calling you, you are legally entitled to tell the collector not to call you again and the FDCPA says that once you've made the request, the collector cannot contact you again other than to let you know about any new action he may plan to take to collect what you owe -- sue you, for example. If the collector keeps contacting you, he has violated the law and you should contact a consumer law attorney to discuss suing the collector.

If you make your request by phone, follow up with a letter so that you have a written record of what you told the collector. You will need this proof if you decide to sue the collector.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Not Mine.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.