Getting back money from IRS for money wrongfully deducted from my refund

by Karen
(El Paso)

How do I get a refund for money dededucted from my settlement and paid to the US Treasury for a debt not mine?

Comments for Getting back money from IRS for money wrongfully deducted from my refund

Click here to add your own comments

Aug 19, 2016
Loan not mine
by: Anonymous

This year i had over 3k deducted from my return saying it was to pay a school loan debt from 2004. Well i did not have a loan then!! I just had a baby that year and started a new job. They have my name and ssn apparently but the debt is not mine. Please help!!

Reply from

We'd recommend you talk with an attorney familiar with student loan law asap to see what you can do. You can find an attorney through Read: The Student Loan Lawyer.

Feb 28, 2015
irs is not always right
by: Anonymous

Contact the chief attorney's office in Fresno, Ca. Or even better Washington D>C>. You can write them a letter explaining your position. Attach copies to support documents etc. I was in a identical situation, I would call, write when I would get a notice (my refund was taken for a debt I did not owe)I sent over 26 letters to no avail. Go to the top, you can file a petition with the Tax Court by mail and I believe internet. Go to IRS main site and it should be available on how to do this. good luck, and if you don't owe, and have proof, do not back down, I did not even though I was put through unbelievable blocks.

Sep 21, 2014
deduction taken from taxes no reimbursement been six months
by: Anonymous

The state of Florida, didn't have contact with Indiana an I didn't owe no support I hadn't owe nothing, 2013 races was $1060 took out since March 2014 I still haven't received it back

Nov 04, 2013
Getting money back from IRS for wrongful deduction from my refund

Dealing with the IRS is tricky business. I recommend you schedule an appointment with a consumer law attorney for advice about what to do. It may be necessary for you to let the attorney handle the matter. However, the attorney will be able to assess your situation and advise you of the best course of action. Your initial appointment should be free. Good luck!

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Not Mine.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.