Garnishment of Wages in Michigan

by Delainea
(Grand Rapids, MI)

I have a judgement against me on a Providian credit card. The judgement happened 2/2007 today I receive the garnishment papers and there is 3 years of interest added onto the judgement. Is there anything I can do.

Comments for Garnishment of Wages in Michigan

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 13, 2011
Garnishment of Wages in Michigan

If you do not pay the amount of a judgment immediately, interest on the unpaid balance begins to accrue, which is why the judgment amount is larger than it was at first. You may want to consult with a consumer bankruptcy attorney in your area because filing for bankruptcy will stop the garnishment and give you time to resolve your financial problem. Go here for a free consultation with a bankruptcy attorney.

Sep 24, 2011
by: Anonymous

Providian was the subject of several high profile cases involving their unethical and illegal billing and collection practices. Employees even admitted to deliberately throwing away payments made by customers so that late fees and additional interest could accrue. Not sure if this applies in any way to your case but if you speak with an attorney it might be worth mentioning for some added leverage.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.