freeze a bank account

in mo. can they freeze a joint bank account if only one person is responsable for the debit

Comments for freeze a bank account

Click here to add your own comments

Jul 27, 2010
Can funds in a joint account be taken for the debt of a spouse?
by: Mary

Thanks for submitting your debt collection question on our Q&A page. .

My sources indicate that in Missouri, unless you and your spouse hold your joint bank account as "joint tenants," also known as "tenants in the entirety," then the funds in the account can be frozen to collect on the debt that your spouse alone incurred. So, your first order of business should be to confirm how your joint account is titled. A call to the bank where the account is located should get you an answer to that question.

Please share what happens with your situation in the comments section for this question. We are very interested in hearing how this turns out for you, and your experience can help others who are struggling with debt collectors.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.