Florida Credit Card Debt

I was issued a credit card from WAMU when I resided in Florida in 2009. I was laid off from my job for two years 2009-2011 so I couldn't pay. I moved to Texas so I had a place to live with my daughter so can Texas sue me for this debt since it was originated in the state of Florida? Can they get a judgment against me?

Comments for Florida Credit Card Debt

Click here to add your own comments

Nov 10, 2011
Florida Credit Card Debt
by: Debtcollectionanswers.com.

If you are going to be sued for the money you owe on your credit card, the issuer of the card will sue you, not Florida or Texas. You owe the money to the credit card company, not to your current or past state of residence.

Nov 15, 2011
Being sued
by: DebtCollectionAnswers.com

Generally, you can be sued for a debt either in the state in which it originated or in the state in which you currently reside. As a practical matter, you are more likely to be sued in the state in which you currently live.

Either way, you don't state how much this debt is for, but we would recommend you go ahead and get a a free consultation with a bankruptcy attorney to find out what your options are. The attorney can answer questions such as what they can and can't go after if they successfully sue you.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.