FDCPA Violations

by Tara
(new york)

Who may sue professional debt collectors for injuries caused by FDCPA violations?

Comments for FDCPA Violations

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 29, 2009
Who Can Sue a Debt Collector
by: Mary Reed

Dear Tara:
Any consumer who has been harmed by the illegal actions of a debt collector can sue a debt collector. If you are considering such a lawsuit you can represent yourself, but it's best to work with a consumer law attorney who has experience handling your kind of case. The attorney can advise you about its merits and tell you whether you should sue using the FDCPA or the New York State Debt Collection Procedures Law.

Assuming you have a strong case, the attorney will probably agree to represent you on a contingent fee basis, which means that you will not have to pay him an up-front fee. Instead, the attorney will take a percentage of any money the court orders the debt collector to pay to you, assuming you win your lawsuit. Win or lose however, you'll have to pay your attorney's expenses.

Hope this information is helpful.


Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2019 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved.
Read our Privacy Policy here