Exempt from Common Law

by Kit Dial
(Lumberton, NC USA)

My sister in law lives in NC where Common Law does not apply although they lived together 28 years. He has three grown children. The home is in my sister in laws name the land which is 3 acres is her boyfreinds name.

The children came and want things out of the house and off the property. She gave them some things that were their dads but now they want things that belong to her assuming it was their dads. They discussed lifetime rights to the property for her. Things are just out of control at this point he just dies Dec. 14th. My sister in law did not make any funneral arrangements and has not signed anything. She is receiving letters from the IRS about back taxes and hospital bills from 15 years ago she knows that she is not responsible for this either. The oldest chnild made a comment that my sister in law had 30 days to move and also made a comment that she could not even take out her fish aquarium from the home. The home is my sister in laws.

What type of rights does my sister in law have and is their anything she can file on her own at the court house? Even thought the land is in their fathers name can she keep them off the property until some sort of legal things have taken place. Can yopu please offer me some advise.

Comments for Exempt from Common Law

Click here to add your own comments

May 08, 2016
Beat it Kids!
by: Anonymous

I am an attorney in Ohio and generally speaking, the sister-in-law should legally get to keep (and stay in) that home. The greedy children should be happy she gave them their father's ''things'', and ''move on''. Yes, she needs a lawyer, but, the kids are out of it, unless a Will, says otherwise. Even then, a lawyer is needed. OK? Get a restraining order to keep the kids out! I rest my case....

Jan 27, 2013
Exempt from Common Law
by: Debtcollectionanswers.com

This is a site that answers questions about debt and debt collectors, not about the issues you have written about. Plus, I am not an attorney and even if I were, I would need additional information before I could advise you about the rights of your sister in law. I strongly recommend that you and your sister in law make an appointment to see an attorney. The attorney can help you sort out all of the issues and an initial appointment should not be costly.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Deceased Person's Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.