Default on Home Equity Loan

by Claire

When I was married, my ex husband and I took out a HELOAN on our house. When we split up, my ex husband stopped paying the mortgage, and the house went into foreclosure. I thought that we have moved on from this, but now we are getting calls from a credit agency to pay on the HELOAN. Can they do this? What happen if we can not pay the money back? Can the garnish my accounts or place judgement against me?

Reply from

You need to talk with a bankruptcy attorney as soon as possible. Florida is a recourse state which means lenders may be able to come back to you to collect an unpaid balance. We are guessing the amount involved is large, so it is important for you to get good advice about your options here.

Click here to post comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.