Default Judgment

by Migdalia
(Sylmar, CA)

we just found out that we have a judgment against us for a credit card. The judgment was apparanetly granted in 2001 and reinstated this year 2011. I was never served and found out that the address they served back in 2001 was my parents address. I believe my dad my have stole my credit card and used it. They are now threatening to take a lien on my home or garnish my wages. I don't know what to do. I want to re-open the case and let the judge know that this is not my debt and I could potential be a victim. I want them to know that I was never served any papers. If I was, I would have went to court to fight this! It's been 10 years and I'm barely finding this out soon as I bought my home? Give me a break. I need help.

Comments for Default Judgment

Click here to add your own comments

Aug 31, 2011
Default Judgment

The situation you describe is rather complicated. You really need legal advice about what to do and I am not an attorney. Therefore, I recommend that you get in touch with a consumer law attorney who has experience resolving debt collection problems. One suggestion is Robert Brennan. He is a very experienced lawyer, is located in the Los Angeles area, and he is also the author of the California version of our book Debt Collection Answers. Call his office at 888-453-6665 for a free case evaluation. To learn more about Brennan, visit

In the meantime, I recommend that you educate yourself about your debt collection rights. A good way to begin that education is to read the first chapter of Debt Collection Answers online for free.

Best of luck resolving your problems!

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.