Debt from my fathers estate in Texas

My dad passed away a week ago and left no will. He has about 7 thousand in medical and credit card debt. i cant afford a lawyer and dont want to do the probate thing is there any way for me to close out his accounts and distrubute his assets to my sister and i

Comments for Debt from my fathers estate in Texas

Click here to add your own comments

Jul 15, 2018
You do not have to do Probate
by: Anonymous

You are in Texas, so you don't have to go through probate. Go down to the title company with your sister, and both agree to change the land over into your name. Do the same with vehicles, personal property you can claim as your own. I just went through all of this with my Dad who passed away, and I'm not on the hook for any of the debts he had.

Jul 21, 2017
Help ,Semper Fi !
by: Soul surviving son

My father single parent. Vietnam Vet, Retired Sign painter or (letterhead), was sick, in the VA Hospital, eventually passed due to infection from a biopsy done at VA.

He owed $25000 in back taxes. I hired my dad's buddies fraudulent atty,under his advise.

Now dad's (good buddy) owns my families home. He bought it at tax auction under a stage name. No probate was ever even done.

I'd call down to tax office to try to work something out and they thought I was my dad's buddy.

They even called me by his first name as if I were him. How do I get this straightened out or can I?

Mar 31, 2016
Debt responsibility after parent's death/no will/POA
by: Julie

My question is: my mother died 11-13-15 with no will, no POA, NOTHING. She died in a nursing home in Texas. The nursing home is alleging that since I am listed as her "next of kin" that I am legally responsible for her outstanding debt with them which is around $27,000.00. My brother and I had tried since May 2015 to get Medicaid but with no will, no POA etc; her bank REFUSED us access to her accounts other than to honor a check made payable to the nursing home or to issue a cashier's check to the nursing home from 4-2105 to 11-2015. She had $1752. in her checking and saving which went to the funeral home.

She had a car valued at less than $1000. and a mobile home that is falling in. The only paperwork which I never recieved any copies of)that I signed was to get her admitted to the nursing home from the hospital. I never made any promises to the nursing home that I would guarantee payment to them. The nursing home knew that we were trying to get her Medicaid going again to cover the nursing home care costs. She only has 2 survivors, myself and my older brother. There is no estate and we are in complete agreement that the money she had went to her cremation costs, which we still owe for.

Am I legally responsible to the nursing home for her debt?

Aug 26, 2015
Help after father's death
by: Vee

My father was in a nursing facility in Texas for about 6 months .... upon his death he owed a balance of 15,000.00. He had no real estate. His checking account was joint with me. In addition he had other medical bills and some credit card debt I was his power of attorney ... he had a will naming me as executor of his estate. This was a texas will. I live in Oklahoma.

Reply from

We're sorry but we're not sure what your question is. Are you asking if you are responsible for your father's nursing home bills? Typically unless you agreed to pay them you shouldn't be. There are a few states where they can try to collect from family members. Since this is in Texas you may want to contact the Texas Consumer Complaint Center to see if they can offer you some free advice.

Jan 13, 2013
Debt from my fathers estate in Texas

So sorry about the death of your father.

You did not give me all of the information I need to answer your question. For example, I don’t know what kinds of assets he died with. Certain kinds of assets must go through probate; others do not have to. For example, the proceeds from a life insurance policy don’t go through probate. The same is true with the money in a retirement account.
Assets like real estate, a vehicle, and/or bank accounts for example must go through probate however, before they can be legally transferred to someone else.

If the value of the assets that must be probated is not a lot however, his estate will probably qualify for a less expensive and faster process than the traditional one. The attorney who helps with the process will be paid for his or her services out of your father's estate at the end of the process and none of your father’s assets can be transferred until the attorney is paid. Note: If your father's estate qualifies for the alternative probate process, there may be no need to hire an attorney.

Since your father has no will, someone must go to the probate court in the county where he lived at the time of his death to initiate probate. The court will appoint someone as "administrator" of his estate. The administrator will take the estate through probate. For example, he or she will inventory all of your father's assets and notify all of his creditors of his death so they can file claims with the court to be paid what they are owed. Those creditors will be paid in a certain order because in probate, some creditors are more important than others. The administrator may have to sell some of your father's assets to pay them. Any creditors that do not get paid cannot look to you or your sister for the money they are owed unless you co-signed for any of the unpaid debts or the debts were joint debts between you and your father.

Once as many as possible of his debts have been paid, anything that remains in his estate will be distributed to his legal heirs according to Texas’ inheritance law. This law applies when someone dies without a will. It spells out exactly who is entitled to the deceased's assets. If someone other than those individuals end up with the assets, your father's legal heirs can file lawsuits to get what they are entitled to.

Finally, your father's creditors are apt to file lawsuits if the probate process is not initiated. If they win, you would have to give back the assets you wrongfully received.

Not following the laws and rules that apply when someone dies can get you in trouble and cost you money. Therefore, I recommend that you identify which of your father's assets must go through probate and find out if your father's estate qualifies for the informal probate process. The probate court clerk may be able to give you this information or you may need to consult a probate law attorney. An initial consultation should not cost a bundle.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Deceased Person's Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.