Debt collector Wants Me to Pay Debt From My Former Marriage

by Zee
(Atlanta, GA)

I live in Georgia. About 13 years ago I co-signed for a car for my husband. He was injured later that year and was unable to work. I couldn't pay the debt on my income and the car was re-poed. A few months later we sepearted and he moved to another state. I was never contacted regarding any outstanding balance following the sell of the car after repo. About a month ago a junk debt collection company contacted me and said I owed the debt for the balance of the car after nearly 13 years. They said that they were coming after me because I was the co-signer. They had not bothered to contact my Ex. Maybe since I live in the same state as when we were married I was easier to find and they didn't bother to chase him down. Do they have a right to come after me 13 years later when they haven't even tried to go after him? Should I give them his contact information?

Comments for Debt collector Wants Me to Pay Debt From My Former Marriage

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 01, 2011
Debt Collector Wants Me to Pay Debt From My Former Marriage

The debt collector is legally entitled to collect the outstanding balance due after your car was taken back and sold because you co-signed for the car loan with your former husband. It is up to the collector to decide if he is going to start with you or with your ex to try to collect that money and he will probably start with whichever option seems easiest.

I am not going to advise you as to whether or not you should give the collector your ex's contact information. That is your call. However, doing so have no effect on the collector's efforts to collect from you if the collector believes that there is a good chance that he will be successful.

However, keep in mind that according to our information, the statute of limitations for most consumer debts in Georgia is 4-6 years. So there's a very good chance this debt is too old for the debt collector to successfully pursue. (It also sounds like no delinquent information should be on your credit reports.)

You may want to read our information on using a cease and desist letter to stop a debt collector. If the debt is too old, you can send a letter and instruct the collector to leave you alone.

Sep 01, 2011
For Repoed car in georgia co signed for her husband 13 years ago
by: Anonymous

Wouldn't the Statute of Limitations apply here, the debt is over 13 years old?

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.