Debt and Divorce!

by Melanie
(Wichita, KS, USA)

I have credit card debt and healthcare debt from when i was married. These credit cards are only in my name and the healthcare is in my name but insurance is through my xhusbands insurance. I had insurance at the time so that portion paid but my portion owed i have not paid. I have been divorced for over a year. Can the creditors garnish my xhusbands checking account for my debts?

Comments for Debt and Divorce!

Click here to add your own comments

Jul 25, 2012
Debt and Divorce!
by: Debtcollectionanswers

Melanie: In Kansas all debts you acquired during your marriage are your debts only. Therefore, the creditors to whom you owe money cannot go after your former husband for the money you owe. The only exception would be if you and your ex incurred a debt jointly.

Mar 23, 2014
SBA judgement
by: Vicki

The SBA has a judgement on my house and land. It was a $20,000 debt that my X husband owed to a building supply company that was financed by the SBA. My name isn't on the debt nor did I know anything about it until I went to refinance my home and discovered that the judgement had been placed on my home just a month or so before our divorce was legal. We were legally separated a couple years before our divorce. Would it be worth my attaining an attorney or am I stuck with paying his debt to clear my home?

Reply from

It would definitely be worth it for you to talk with a consumer law attorney. It is not unusual for a judgment to be improperly filed against a consumer. Unless you look into it, you may wind up paying a debt you aren't legally obligated to pay.

Feb 13, 2015
my exwife owes $17, me
by: Anonymous

My ex-wife in Georgia (I live in WA) got the house in the divorce plus 1500.00 a month support and 1 child. I never missed a payment for 7 years..then I lost my job. I had been paying the 2nd mortgage as well as the afore mentioned amount as well.The decree states she is responsible for that 2nd mortgage, but she threatened to ruin my credit, get me fired, and on and on so I paid it. I filed for modification (in Ga) and the judge and her attny did not even address the fact she owed me for the mortgage.

So my question is can I still go after that $17,000 if it was written into the separation agreement on Jan 4, 2008 and then in the divorce decree in 2010? it still reads that debt is her responsibility.

Reply from

You may very well be able to collect from her but it could prove challenging if she doesn't want to pay. You may need to at least consult with an attorney to find out what you can do to collect.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.