Debit collection

by Lorraina
(Detroit, MI)

I had a company after 16 years tell me that I owe on a bill from 1999. One, I did not live in that county in 1999 and two the bill is over 16 years old. Can they still take me to court?

Comments for Debit collection

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 18, 2010
Debt Collection
by: Anonymous

Thanks for submitting your debt collection question on our Q&A page.

I fully expect that the statute of limitation on your 1999 debt has expired (the statute of limitation begins on the date that you made your last payment on the debt). Therefore, although the debt collector can try to collect on the debt he cannot sue you for the money you owe. If the debt collector threatens to sue you, I recommend that you contact a consumer law attorney in your area who has experience helping consumers resolve debt collection problems. And, if the collector does indeed file suit, talk with an attorney immediately. Find out how to get FREE or low cost legal advice about debt collection from a consumer law attorney here.

Please share what happens with your situation in the comments section for this question. We are very interested in hearing how this turns out for you, and your experience can help others who are struggling with debt collectors.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.