consent judgement in NC

by Paula
(waynesville, nc, usa)

i live in nc and have a consent judgment from ge money bank, they served my summons to my house which i was not here at the time, i serve a copy of my written answer to the clerk of courts within 30 days, i then received a letter dated 4/29 from the attorneys stating that i should resolve this for the amount of 1255.56 with interest - like i stated in my letter to them that i could not pay this at the time, because i was going thru a hardship. I just received a letter from the court stating that i needed to be in court on the 31st of this month. Need help.

Comments for consent judgement in NC

Click here to add your own comments

Aug 16, 2010
responding to summons
by: Gerri & Mary


This must be incredibly stressful for you! The fact that you did not receive the initial summons is something you definitely want to look into. I assume that you probably don't have the money to hire an attorney, which is why you haven't done so already. However, you can at least arrange a a free consultation with a bankruptcy attorney who can tell you what will happen when you go to court over this debt.

The other thing we would suggest you do is go ahead and talk with a consumer law attorney with experience in debt collection cases. Learn how to get low cost or FREE legal help with your debt collection problem here. The attorney can help you understand whether your rights have been violated because you were not properly served with the initial notice that resulted in the judgment against you.

We hope you can find a resolution to this debt - please do keep us posted.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.