Collection on a phone bill

by Willard
(Algonac, MI, USA)

Had a phone that was disconnected. Paid the bill. Never heard a word. Now after 4 years they have put me in collections and say I owe the bill. What can I do.

Comments for Collection on a phone bill

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 29, 2009
Problem with phone bill
by: Anonymous

Dear Willard:
You should immediately write the debt collector a letter stating that you do not believe that you owe the debt and asking the collector to provide you with written proof that you do. The federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) gives you the right to request such proof although you must do so within 30 days of having received the initial collection notice related from the debt collector. My book Debt Collection Answers provides a sample letter you can write.

It's a good idea to include with your letter any backup information you may have that helps prove that you do not owe the debt. For example, a copy of the canceled check you wrote to your phone company after your phone was disconnected but be sure to completely black out your bank account number (If you no longer have that check, contact your bank and ask it for a copy.) and a copy of the phone bill showing that you paid the amount that was past due. If you don?t have this bill, your phone company may allow its customers to view their account histories online. If so, you can print off the page that shows your payment.

Once you have completed your letter and pulled together all of your documentation, make a copy of the letter for your files and store it with the originals of your backup information. Send everything to the debt collector via certified mail with a return receipt requested. File the receipt too.

If the debt collector does not provide you with adequate proof that you owe the debt, does not respond to your request for proof, or if you do not understand the proof that the debt collector does provide, get in touch with a consumer law attorney. If your income is low, an attorney working for a legal aid office in your area may be able to help you, or your local bar association may operate a legal clinic. I also recommend that you purchase a copy of Debt Collection Answers, which tells you what a debt collector can and can't do to try to collect from you, explains your debt collection rights and tells you what you should do if those rights are violated.

I hope this information helps you resolve your problem.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2019 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved.
Read our Privacy Policy here