Collection Agency Wants More Money Than We're Paying

In the state of Montana I have a 10,000 dollar medical debt that was taken to court and they won a judgement against me even though I was never served and now my husband pays 80 dollars a month but they want more and have sent a bunch of paperwork for him to fill out asking everything under the sun what can we do? We now live in Washington state.

Comments for Collection Agency Wants More Money Than We're Paying

Click here to add your own comments

Jul 11, 2011
How many judgements can one person have against them?
by: Anonymous

Is there a limit to the number of judgements you can have against you from collection agencies in the state of Montana. I have an outstanding $4000 medical judgment already against me and another collection agency may be trying to get another judgment for $10,000.

Reply from Unless they are trying to sue you for the same debt, we aren't aware of any limits on how many judgments can be obtained against you. However, there are limits on what judgment creditors can do to collect from you.

For that reason, we would really encourage you to at least set up a free consultation with a bankruptcy attorney to find out what these collectors can and cannot go after to collect these judgments from you.

Jul 07, 2011
Collection Agency Wants More Money Than We're Paying

I recommend that you contact a consumer law attorney who helps people resolve debt collection problems about your situation. I am concerned that you were never served with an official notice about the lawsuit that was filed against you and that the collection agency now wants you to pay more money than you are currently paying. I am not an attorney so I don't know if a consumer law attorney in your current state can help you with the fact that you were never served or if you need to consult with one in Montana, so I recommend that you call the Collection Complaint Hotline at 888-711-5183 for a free, confidential case evaluation. The Hotline will be able to advise you about where the attorney you talk to should be located and will be able to refer you one in that state who can help you with both of the issues you wrote about. In the meantime, do not provide the debt collector with any of the information he is asking for. Your attorney will tell you how to handle that.

Good luck!

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Medical Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.