Can Husband's Check Be Garnished for Judgment

by Tammy
(arkansaw wi)

Can they garnish my husband's check for my judgement in wi?

Comments for Can Husband's Check Be Garnished for Judgment

Click here to add your own comments

May 30, 2011

If a creditor or debt collector has obtained a legal judgment against your husband, the creditor or collector can ask the court for permission to garnish his wages. However, there are limits on the amount of money that can be taken out of each of his paychecks. Also, given that Wisconsin is a community property state, it's possible that your wages could be garnished too assuming you work.

I do not know the particulars of your financial situation, but you may be a good candidate for bankruptcy. If you file, all collection actions, including the wage garnishment, will be put on hold and you'll have an opportunity to figure out how to deal with your debts. Depending on the type of bankruptcy you file, many of your debts may be eliminated. You can consult with a consumer bankruptcy attorney in your area or you can click here for a free consultation with a bankruptcy attorney. Good luck!

Aug 09, 2011
Employer not complying with income execution
by: Anonymous

What happens if employer does not garnish wages from my ex husband's salary? I had a Marshal serve Income Execution last year upon my ex. Ex did not comply. It then went to Ex's employer and they did not comply (this is not the first time). Ex husband then turned around and did chapter 13 but just before he dismissed his own case ex went to another court signed a paper he owed his mother and father money and now employer is honoring their income execution and not mine (that is for maintenance and child support arrears totaling $70,000 plus interest which is around $100,000). What do I do .Employer said they don't have to honor mine and we had my income execution before his mothers and fathers.i live in new york and need help!!!!!

Reply from Child support is usually a priority. We would urge you to get help from an attorney. If you can't afford to pay an attorney, contact your local bar association to find out out low-cost legal aid.

Nov 03, 2011
Child Support Garnishment
by: Anonymous

That employer better check his federal law. If I remember right, federal law states employers can be fined for not complying with child support garnishment.

Definitely check with an attorney or legal aid.

My sympathies, as well. My ex hasn't paid child support since 2004, and the state won't go after him because he applied for and received SSI. (For what I have *no* clue. Filed protestations brought nothing.) Here's wishing you the best.

Feb 27, 2015
by: Anonymous

I noticed a judgment on my credit report. I got a copy of the order it has my ex-husband listed as the defendant I am not anywhere on the order. Am I responsible for this judgement and can they garnish my wages. The divorce was final 1-12 and the date of service was in 3-12.

Reply from

Was it a joint debt? If it was and you were not served then we will have to suggest you at least talk with a consumer law attorney. But if not, then don't see why you would be. We suggest you dispute the item in writing with the credit reporting agencies who are reporting the judgment. Include your documentation. If that doesn't clear it, file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.