Can a Bill for Services Be Turned Over to Collections

by Jen

Hello-I recently had someone come and clean my house. They did a horrible job and I canceled my check. I contacted the woman and told her I would pay her for her services but not the full amount since it was done horribly. She didn't get back to me. About a month later I received a bill in the mail stating I still owed her the money. Can she turn it over to a collection agency?

Reply from

She could but it's doubtful unless she has a sizeable business and regularly turns accounts over to collections. If the amount is small it probably isn't worth her while - or the collector's.

You may want to respond with a certified letter explaining why you aren't paying her the full amount in case she does try to pursue it.

If she has a company and is not just an individual cleaning homes you might want to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Click here to post comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.