Being Sued for Late Husband's Debt

A collection agency has filed suit against my husband who is now deceased. I received letter in mail stating:

ORDER GRANTING PLANTIFF'S MOTION TO AMEND CASE STYLE AND TO DROP DEFENDANT,(husband's name-deceased). Plantiff's Motion to amend case style is hereby GRANTED. Any further pleading filed in the case should reference me, (wife). It is electronically dated/signed by County Judge. Will I be served a summons? I'm already facing foreclosure with the house and I literally have NO money.

What can I do?

Reply from

We are so sorry to hear of your husband's death and what you are now dealing with.

Since this is a legal action, we'd strongly encourage you to at least talk with a consumer law attorney to find out if what they are doing is legal. You can get a free initial consultation with a consumer law attorney and if it turns out the collector is breaking the law, the attorney will help you for free.

We hope that helps!

Click here to post comments

Return to Deceased Person's Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2019 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved.
Read our Privacy Policy here