Bank Levy for a joint account

by Jessica
(St. Joseph, MO, USA )

If I have a judgment against me for a CC, can they garnish an account if it's my dad's but my name is on it? They have already tried garnishing a joint account with my husband.

Comments for Bank Levy for a joint account

Click here to add your own comments

Aug 27, 2010
levy on joint account
by: Gerri

They may be able to go after your joint account with your father so it would probably be a good idea for him to take you off the account. We would recommend you talk with an attorney in your area to find out what the collector can and cannot do to collect the judgment from you.

One option would be to go ahead and get a free consultation with a bankruptcy attorney. They will be able to give you more information on your rights, as well as help you understand your options for resolving this judgment. The sooner you can take care of this - whether by paying it off, settling the debt, filing for personal bankruptcy - the sooner you'll be able to get on with your financial life.

We hope you're able to find a solution that works for you.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Debt Collection Questions.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.