A debt that on my record

by Rodriquez
(Brunswick, GA)

I am writing because I am trying to get credit at the age of 19 years old. My father and I share the same name, I am Jr. and he is Sr. And was 3 yrs. old when my father purchased this home and now it's on my credit report. I need to know how I can get this false information off my acct. My father is in prison and was since 1997 and 3 years old at the time. So I can't understand why it's on my credit. Could you give me some advice on how to fix this my father is still in prison? Thanks!

Reply from DebtCollectionAnswers.com

This sounds like a simple case of a mixed file. It's not uncommon for information about people with similar names to get mixed up with each other - especially if you have lived at the same address.

You will need to get your credit reports from all three credit reporting agencies - Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. You can do this for free at AnnualCreditReport.com. Then you will have to dispute the information that is not yours. The credit report will tell you how to do that.

Keep a record of activities you undertake to try to correct this - including notes of any phone calls or a copy of any mail you send or receive.

Hopefully it will be corrected quickly. We've written about how to dispute credit report mistakes here.

Click here to post comments

Return to Debt Not Mine.

Learn how debt collection laws can help you!
This website does not provide legal advice.
All information is for educational purposes only.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 by Mary Reed and Gerri Detweiler.
All rights reserved..
Read our Privacy Policy here. Do not sell my information.